This blog has a new home. You will be redirected shortly.
http://grantkgibson.com/blog

Blogger


Tuesday, October 11

Sprucing it up

A good friend and I were talking over dinner the other night at Spruce in San Francisco about social media and life in general. It’s always great to get caught up with a friend after working all day.

As we sat at our cozy bar-side table, it occurred to me that that sitting there and enjoying the Spruce burger (with fries, of course, and a glass of wine) over good conversation has to be a favorite after work treat. We got to talking about how I am passionate about so many things and how it would be fun to share moments like this with you out there that read this blog.

Testing, testing 123, is anyone out there? Just checking.

So I guess the point of this post is to tell you that, in addition to my regular weekly post, I’m going to start sharing more frequent bits of what really inspires me in my life. This week, I was inspired by a burger, fries and glass of wine. (Thank goodness that this isn’t my inspiration every day, but it really makes for a delightful treat at the end of a long day).

I am excited to share more of these thoughts with you. It might be a fabric that inspires me on a client project or paint color that I just can’t stop thinking about.

I am so lucky to be in a career that I have always dreamed up. Inspiration is around every corner.

This is going to be me just being me. Come back often to see what I am up to.

Oh and sorry if I have you craving a burger right about now.

In case you can’t make it to Spruce and are up for making it at home. Here is the recipe below:

SPRUCE burger

Patties

3 pounds (20 percent fat) ground chuck

Salt and pepper

2 tablespoons grapeseed oil

Divide the hamburger meat into six equal balls. Pat them down so they are around 3/4- inch thick. Season with salt and pepper.

Place a iron skillet over high heat for 10 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium- low, and add the grapeseed oil to the pan and cook the burgers for around three minutes each side (more if you like it more than medium rare).

Buns

2 cups water

1 cup scalded milk

1 tablespoon sugar

2 tablespoons salt

1/2 tablespoon, plus 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast, dissolved in 2 tablespoons warm water

8 cups all purpose flour

1/3 cup melted butter

Grapeseed oil, enough to coat a skillet with a ¼ inch layer of oil

Semolina flour, enough to sprinkle over the buns

Whisk the water, scalded milk, sugar, and salt. Add the dissolved yeast. Thoroughly mix in 4 cups of the flour. Cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes.

Mix in melted butter and the rest of the flour and mix for 5 minutes.

Cover and allow to rest for another 30 minutes.

Place the dough on a floured surface and roll the dough out flat (1/2 inch thick). Cover again for 30 minutes.

Cut out 3 inch rings to form individual bungs. Lightly coat them in the semolina flour and pan-fry over medium heat (cooking each side for about 5 minutes, or golden brown.

Serve the patty over the toasted bun. They serve it at the restaurant with aioli and pickled zucchini and red onions.

22 comments:

Alan Karlin said...

Yes, I really want a burger now!
Look forward to your inspirations on a regular basis.

the modern sybarite ™ said...

Good heavens it looks delicious!!! ... the only thing is that after eating this you're looking to be in a self inflicted food coma for days!!!!

Rick said...

Yes, readers are out here in cyberspace! It's great--keep up the good work. And really, the burger & fries look pretty darned inspirational to me, too.

Anonymous said...

Now I am hungry!!!

Baker Martin said...

Burgers, fries and WINE? Are you kidding? How about a cool iPA or even a Budweiser. But wine....really?

mary said...

Yes, please--more posts on what inspires you. We are definitely listening. Now, about that burger--I'm starving. Thanks. Mary

Grant K. Gibson said...

@Baker Martin. It must be a California thing!

Anonymous said...

Oh, please. What else would you serve with a burger and fries. A Bud? You have to be kidding me. Baker Martin has no class and would be laughed at ordering a Bud at Spruce. Made me laugh out loud.

Oh, and we are all still here watching and listening. Looking forward to seeing more of your exciting posts.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great burger. I don't live in San Francisco, so I am excited to try to make this at home. Thanks for sharing.

Laura

Mrs. Blandings said...

This is exactly the kind of thing I read designer's blogs for. The result is delightful, but a peek at the process is fascinating. Thanks for letting us in.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with next! PS my new favorite store, March...I'm sure you've been there.

Have a good day, Judi

J.W. said...

I'm here often and I'm pleased to have shared a burger with you.

Vanessa Stern said...

Yay, love this post! My 3 favorite things!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Grant,
I know I am going to love this series!
~R

Baker Martin said...

Nope, not a California thing. I'm 5th generation and Uncle Harry (he with the hoard of Insignia in the cellar) swears the red stuff in our veins isn't blood. No, seriously, there's something special about the hoppiness of a Pale Ale or Lager and the unctuousness of grease and salt that seem made for each other. Take a lesson from Fritz Maytag, our famous SF brewer and lift a pint. PS.... Five Dot for beef, please.

Grant K. Gibson said...

@Baker Martin. Next time- I will try with a beer and toast to you!

bedroom chandeliers said...

have to try this recipe

Red River Interiors,LLC said...

Love the idea of a burger and fries with wine... gotta try it.
That's inspiring me to try something I haven't tried before... Fay

red ticking said...

oh my... i think i need a spruce burger when i hit san fran... how many calories in that??? who cares! he he
xx

Brittany Stiles said...

I'm constantly on the look out for my new favorite burger. I'm going to have to try this place when I get back to the city. I'm excited to read more tid bits from your every day life :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the burger tip. I can't wait to check it out.

pve design said...

Dinner with you....now that would be inspiring. Long ago in NY at Mortimers they served twin burgers that I loved. Reminds me of dinner at a bar....at the counter.
I love a yummy burger.
pve

 

Back to TOP

Glamour Bomb Templates