This blog has a new home. You will be redirected shortly.
http://grantkgibson.com/blog

Blogger


Monday, October 3

The Color Purple

Summer is over. Fall is here and the leaves are starting to change.

Layers of clothing start to come out and things start to feel cozier everywhere you go.

When I think of the color purple, I think of it as a moodier color suiting the transition from summer to fall. If I ever wore color, I’d be inspired to pair a purple cashmere sweater with charcoal tweed slacks. I’d also be inclined to switch out airy throw pillows for autumnal tones, preparing to settle in for the winter.

Perhaps that is what Elle Decor, House Beautiful and Veranda were also thinking this month - as they all featured purple prominently in their respective October issues.

One could think that this was planned, but as it turns out it happened to be a coincidence.

I had the opportunity to ask the editors of each magazine about their inspiration for featuring purple.




Michael Boodro, Editor-in-chief of Elle Decor:

"Purple definitely seems to be the color of the moment, and it’s not going away soon. In fact, we have a dazzling lacquered purple room on our upcoming November cover. What’s great about purple is that it can be formal and majestic or fun and funky, masculine or feminine. And it’s guaranteed to be noticed. So it’s perfect for the newsstand."




Newell Turner, Editor-in-chief of House Beautiful:

“Purple is a happy color. Even in its moodier shades, it makes you feel special. I particularly like it smoky and gray.”

“Maybe the appeal of purple right now has something to do with the faltering economy and a simmering sense of insecurity in the world. Wow, that’s depressing. I need a dose of purple!”




Dara Caponigro, Editor-in-chief of Veranda:

“In the home, I love purple mixed with neutrals, either grey or mousey taupe. The combinations are soothing, yet dramatic. That’s what we had in mind when designing our October cover, quiet greige with a punchy purple logo.”


Is this a trend? Will we be seeing more touches of purple in interiors in the coming months? I personally think that purple is going to be one of the next hot colors. I love the moodier shades that have a lot of grey. What are your thoughts about purple? Do you use in your own interior? Or will you now consider incorporating it into your interior since it seems to be a trend?


Thank you Michael, Newell and Dara for sharing your thoughts!


22 comments:

the modern sybarite ™ said...

Have always really, really liked purple. Such a great color to combine with blues and grays, browns and yellows ... can almost be considered an neutral for its versatility. Love it!

mary said...

Purple goes with just about everything. And it's a jewel color.....are we going back to rich, embracing jewels any time soon? Thanks. Mary

Allison Harper said...

I'm loving all of the shades of purple. It's a welcome change and adds a richness to the room!

carrieswing said...

One of my girlfriends collects vintage purple kitchen things - as you might imagine, pretty rare. They make her brown and pink kitchen look pretty stunning! ALSO I am dying to see that horse walk into the hallway in Veranda! ;)

Daniel Beaumont said...

Purple is one of my favourites. For a contemporary use of purple, combine it with either a hint of yellow or a bright orange. For a more calming, tonal colour scheme, use different shades of purple and add interest by using fabrics with different textures.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phillip King Parton said...

Purple is regal yet easy to live with. I'm fond of it in a shade of raisin, which looks great with pumpkin... another timely post, thanks Grant!

Anonymous said...

I love to use deep rich tones of purple- It's my favorite for the master bedroom because it has depth and warmth. It's cool and cozy at the same time. Yummy!

Jeannine

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

It's funny as I never used to be a big lover of purple but I saw it combined with racing green recently and it looked divine. A convert maybe?! Great post!

Pigtown*Design said...

funnily, even all of the trashy gossip magazines had purple on their covers this week.

Anonymous said...

John Saladino would LOVE.

Anonymous said...

It's so great that you were able to ask each of the editors what they thought. How clever of you!

The Purple Lady said...

Purple has been my all-time fave since I was 8 and have been ecstatic over it lately coming into fashion. I can find so much more for my wardrobe and interior design. LOVE the article. I will share this for certain with my readership on my blog All Things Purple http://iheartpurplestuff.blogspot.com

Ron Pernell beaute said...

Purple has always been my Blue. I like to use different shades of purple in a room. It makes me feel sexy!

Visual Comfort said...

Purple has really grown on me as of late. When the right shade is used, it can look so rich. Great post, Grant!

Grant K. Gibson said...

I think that names that I am really liking for purple are the shades of amethyst and plum and raisin. This really captures the shades that I really enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Can't get more sycophantic than this. Maybe they'll even ask you for another pearl of wisdom for their pages.

Anonymous said...

I might have to try some in my interior. Now I am seeing it everywhere. Maybe you should become a trend forecaster?

katiedid said...

Wow....snarky anon's at it again! Must have missed his happy pill.

Purple can be so many things! romantic lavender, sophisticated aubergine, lush eggplant, and that happy amethyst you mentioned. Those darker purples would look so gorgeous with a display of purple eucalyptus leaves, eggplant and artichokes....now you have my imagination going!!!

bedroom chandeliers said...

i love purple!

Uncle Beefy said...

I love purple and have taken to doses in the wardrobe. In my home, Grant? Maybe in accented doses? I remember seeing a photo of a dining room in deep purple with stripped wood/white furniture that looked amazing! So, you never know!

Hope this finds you doing well, Grant! :)

Grant K. Gibson said...

I love all of your purples Katie! We see purple so much in foods!

 

Back to TOP

Glamour Bomb Templates